Monday, February 6, 2017

Steph's Favorite Soup- Chicken and Wild Rice



We can all thank my good friend Alyssa and her mother for bringing this in to our lives. Alyssa made this for me after I had a baby and it has been my favorite soup ever since. I'm going to be honest, it's not super quick. It's a little bit time consuming, not horrible but you do need about 45 min. And the pint of heavy cream takes it off the really good for you list and puts it in the tastes really good list. The ingredients are relatively basic and I almost always have them on hand which I love. I hate having to add weird things to my grocery list for one meal. It's still winter, which is technically soup season, even though here in Texas it was almost 80 degrees today..... Seriously though give it a try. My bet is that you will be grateful to Alyssa and her mom just like I am. 

Ingredients

1 cup onion (I use less, I don't love onion) diced
1 cup celery (with leaves) diced
1 cup carrots diced
1 large (49.5 oz) can chicken broth
1 small (14 oz) can chicken broth
1 box Uncle Ben's Long Grain & Wild Rice mix
2 chicken bouillon cubes
1 pint heavy whipping cream
3/4 cup flour ( I have used Pamela's Gluten Free flour and it works great)
2 TB flat leaf parsley
1 tsp ground sage
a shake of ground cloves
2 pinches ground pepper
3 1/2-4 cups bite sized chicken chunks ( I use a rotisserie chicken)

1. Saute the onion and celery in 1 TB of butter using a heavy soup pot.  Add the large and small cans of chicken brother and bring to a low boil.  Add the carrots.  Add the rice and seasoning packet from the box.  Simmer on low for 20-25 min.

2. Dissolve 2 bouillon cubes in 2 cups water. Whisk in the flour and then add the heaving cream*. Add this mixture to the soup pot with the parsley, sage, cloves, and pepper. stir to thicken.

3. Add chicken chunks. Do not boil after this point. 

*I really have a hard time whisking flour in to stuff and avoiding lumps. So a trick I learned is to mix the bouillon water, cream and flour all together slowly with an immersion blender. No need to blend it like crazy just enough to smooth it out. 

2 comments:

  1. Love ya, Steph! I'll add that I use Wondra instead of all purpose flour. It's a quick mixing flour that's great for things like gravy...and it mixes in fairly easily. It is a special ingredient, but one I sometimes find useful to have on hand. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never used it. It really makes a difference? I'm totally trying that next time because regular flour always clumps! Where do you buy it?

    ReplyDelete