Thursday, February 2, 2017

Stace And Toddlerhood


This. Almost everyday of my life this. And not just about toys but about eating too. I have a two and a half year old little girl and something that I am remembering about two and a half year old's is that its quite difficult. No longer do I have my little lump of a baby who lays around and coo's at me. I don't even have the adorable little crawler, no I have a runner! Not just a runner but a climber. People say that boys are the adventurous ones, the risk takers, I say to you that that is not always true! I can't tell you how many times I've heard "Mommy, wook at me." and turned to see my baby girl precariously perched on some type of high ledge and before panic even has time to set in she's already jumped off while I only have time to gasp and watch her little life flash before my eyes. No, having a two and a half year old isn't easy.

You know how they say to only let your child have like 30 minutes of screen time a day? Ha! Okay! Sure, that's no problem at all. Do "they" have a two and a half year old? I don't think that they do! Because another difficulty with the two and a half year old is their attention span. Do I want my daughter to sit in front of a screen all day whether it be a TV, phone, or iPad? Of course I don't. I'm not that terrible of a mother. Does my child have more then 30 minutes of screen time a day? Yep. I can't even tell you how many times a day I hear "I wanna watch a show" and she has her favorites you know. One thing about my girl is that she knows what she wants and she definitely has her favorite shows. Sofia The First is one of them and we went to Disney World at the end of November and got to meet Sofia. Oh my goodness. She wanted to crawl into Sofia's skin, she literally draped her body over Sofia's and followed her around with her arms out hoping to touch her just once more. Thing's like that make me glad for kids shows. What doesn't make me glad is when I'm at church, or trying to have a conversation with someone and the lovely songs are  whirling around in my mind. That's just not appreciated but I am not a saint, I can only play tea party and tag or Candy Land for so long. She isn't old enough to sit up at the table with paper and crayons that lasts 5 minutes if I'm lucky. 


And can we talk about potty training for a minute? I feel that we have been potty training for months. Months. We got so close. She talked about going on the toilet, we bought the pretty Frozen and Mini Mouse underwear and a little seat to put on the toilet. But no she still isn't potty trained. She poops on the toilet and that's so exciting but she won't pee. She likes to listen to me pee though. Oh yes, I'm trying to do my business and my little girl comes waltzing in cups her chubby hand to her ear and whispers "I hear it! I hear the pee pee's." and then she wants to see my pee. I don't know that I've ever looked at pee more. I don't want to look at my pee. I don't want to talk about pee either. Or poop. There are other things that I would rather talk about. When she sits on the toilet she whispers so that we are sure to hear the poop or pee, she never pee's. We listen for it though, don't you worry. I don't remember the last time I was left alone in the bathroom. 


I've always hated the in-between stages. Like when you're pregnant and start not fitting in your clothes but you aren't ready for maternity clothes either. That's what two and a half is for me. We're way out of baby stage and deep into toddler. A toddler that is learning and growing everyday and is understanding more and more yet can't go to preschool. A toddler who is still in diapers but so close to potty training that you believe that maybe one day you won't have to talk about bodily functions anymore in your everyday life. A toddler that wants to be entertained every minute that they are conscious and even when their unconscious its not a for sure thing man!


Steph came to visit with all of her kids over the summer and one night at about 1 in the morning CurlyGirl goes cruising in her room "Stephy, Stephy what you doing?" Yeah, she just told her to go find mommy. I believe that same night she got up again at like 3 to check that Stephy was still there. Nap times can also be a joke. Oh she still naps for sure. Or does she? Just the other day we did the whole put her down for the nap think she's asleep but then there's singing so put her down again awhile later there's chatting put her down again. I honestly kept hearing her every 15-30 minutes. I have no idea if that girl napped, she was in her room for about two hours though so I took it as a win.


One day I won't have to talk about poop and pee. One day I won't have to schedule my life around nap time and stress whether or not I'm ruining my child by how much time is spent on a screen. One day children's songs won't be the theme spinning in my head. One day, but not today. Today I just want to go to the bathroom by myself. 







No comments:

Post a Comment