Thursday, May 29, 2014

Steph's Creamed Corn


        Everyone has their "I'm going to a pot luck and need to bring a dish" dish right? Well this is mine. The beauty of the creamed corn is that I almost always have all of the ingredienst in my house at all times. I was invited to a lunch  BBQ for Memorial day at 9:30 a.m. that day so I went home checked my fridge and 30 minutes later I had creamed corn. It's lovely.

    I think I got the basic outline for the recipe from a Betty Crocker cookbook initially but I've made it so many times over the years that I just do it from memory and also I know what has worked the best for me. I think you'll agree with me saying that creamed corn is all about consistency. Too chunky and it's just weird regular corn, too creamy and it's corn soup. No good. 

    Usually I'm making it for a larger group of people (10 or more) so I use an entire bag of frozen corn. I've never used fresh or canned corn. I assume if you wanted to cut off the kernels from a fresh cob it would need to be cooked longer. I also precook the frozen corn in the microwave for about 3 minutes to cut down on time in the oven. So for a batch using a whole bag of corn you need:

Preheat oven to 400
8x8 pan

1/4 cup cream
1/2 cup milk
1 TB sugar
1  tsp salt
pepper to taste
6 slices of butter

Dump the corn in the pan and cover it with the milk and cream. The measurements are "guesstimates" so you want to make sure that the milk comes up a little on the sides but you don't want the corn to swim in milk.  Then sprinkle sugar, salt, and pepper all over the top. If you like sweeter corn use more sugar, if you like pepper put some extra shakes in there, whatever you prefer. Stir the sugar, salt and pepper into the corn and milk then lay the slices of butter on top of the corn. Bake at 400 for 20-30 min. You want the dish to be bubbling pretty well. When it comes out stir it up really good to let some of the heat escape. I then use an immersion blender and blend the corn in spurts. Just blend it to the consistency that looks good to you. That's it. Voila. I always get compliments on this dish, I have never brought any leftovers home either more's the pity. I would eat this stuff every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment