Monday, May 26, 2014

Stace's Book Review: The Reef






This book is one of my favorites. Its on my top ten. To be honest I can't exactly pin point why I love it so much. Its a Nora Roberts so that alone makes me happy but, you know, Nora isn't perfect and not all of her books are the best things ever. The Reef though, that is one of them. Its my happy book. Its the one I can read over and over and not get bored.

The Reef is about  a family, the Lassiters, who have been treasure hunting for generations looking for new wrecks in the sea and living from boat wreck to boat wreck looking for a new find. In particular they are looking for a ship that is said to have had a necklace aboard that is cursed, Angelique's Curse, is what it is referred to. They feel that in search of this necklace it had cursed their family but they are obsessed with finding it. While the Lassiters are searching for Angeliques Curse they team up with another family, the Beaumonts. And that is how Matthew Lassiter and Tate Beaumont meet. The love interests! 

This book is just so richly written. It has conflict, mystery, different family relationships and life styles. I think one of the reasons I love it so much is that its about the wonder of the sea. I am someone who my husband claims can't swim. I can! I doggy paddle and float so obviously I can swim. I don't love the water because most of the time water is outside and I get burned by the sun no matter how much sunscreen I put on and though I can in fact swim I'm not great at it. Also, the ocean kind of freaks me out. I've seen Jaws. But, I have always been fascinated with the sea. The different kinds of creatures down there and the vastness of it. Its a whole other world that both interests and scares me. 

That's part of the reason why I like The Reef so much. Its about a completely different life style then I am used to and maybe kind of wish I had the guts to be apart of. And if you can't live by a beach or be at a beach all the time then why not read about it every now and then.

I also really like the characters. The bad guy isn't over the top and Matthew Lassiter is a very sad man but he's not mopey and annoying. I really like Tate as well. She is independent but she's not miss I don't need anything or anybody and has close ties with her family.

If you can't really decide what you want to read or if you want to escape into something that isn't like your life go be apart of the Beaumonts and Lassiters lives, its a great escape. The Reef  


No comments:

Post a Comment