Thursday, March 20, 2014

Steph's book review- The Lies of Locke Lamora

    I'm normally not a big adult fantasy reader. I actually think the only other full series I've ever read that's categorized as adult fantasy is the Game of Thrones series (which I very much enjoyed). I usually don't have the patience or desire to invest that much energy in reading what's usually a very long involved book about a completely made up world where there is almost always a magical or supernatural element. It's just not my thing. However for book club this month we chose to read The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch and let me tell you, oh my goodness that was a good story.

    Initially when you start the book it feels a little odd. I had a hard time placing myself in the book simply because its a completely made up world. I had to get my bearings and the author uses A LOT of words. Now I know what you're thinking, it's a book, there are supposed to be words. But his descriptions of landscape, politics, and some historical events are very wordy. I was also really surprised by the amount of language in the book. If you are sensitive to swearing I do not recommend that you read this. It took me about 100 or so pages before I began to really enjoy myself.  The book itself is almost 500 pages (common with adult fantasy) and so really its only about 1/5 of the way through that I felt a connection with the characters. Once I hit the halfway mark I was hooked and completely emotionally invested. 

   The story is about a little boy named Locke Lamora who is orphaned and then trained as a thief in a world where this is a kind fate for those children left without parents. The background of the book reads a little medieval and so its course and the people are dirty and unscrupulous. Its very much an every man for himself take what you can world. Locke proves to be too good a thief and causes some trouble for his master and he is sold to a "priest" who is actually another thief and trained to be a member of an elite club of thieves. The story takes you back and forth between real time and Locke's past so as you follow the plot in the "present" you are also reading about the experiences he had during his training that led to the current situation. The dialogue is fantastic and I don't think there is a character that I don't like. Some of them you hate but it's a good hate. You know what I mean? Some characters you just love to despise. I won't tell you much more about the story because I don't want to give anything away! I will just say that it was a great story with moments of disbelief and humor but also some deeper emotion that I was pleasantly surprised by. Of course it's a series (isn't most adult fantasy?) and I'm excited to get my hands on the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment