Thursday, April 6, 2017

Stace And Spring Break


Spring break. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Spring break can truly go either way. This may sound terrible but I am a parent who dreads school breaks. Not because I don't love my children but because it throws everything off. I am a creature of habit and spring break just ruins it all. I feel like most parents, when it comes to school breaks, are frantically trying to fill the time with stuff. Trips, playgroups, hikes, movies, art, ect. Steph and I just got back from an amazing trip to London and Paris so I was only home for a few days and then we had spring break. In a lot of ways it worked out perfectly. I got the space from my people and missed them so it made it easier to be with them 24/7. Something I've found out as my children get older is that they either play awesome together or they're doing everything in their might to bug the other. BuddyBoy doesn't like when CurlyGirl gets in the middle of his lego building? Well then clearly she needs to go on ahead and get right in the middle of all that. CurlyGirl doesn't like when BuddyBoy is pretending to shoot her with arrows constantly? Obviously he needs to keep shooting at her.

A huge thing that I have learned with this spring break is know your people. Know your kids and try to find a good balance that will make each of them happy. Easy! No it is not! Understanding this though as helped me to plan accordingly. My children have complete opposite personalities. While BuddyBoy and I would be happy as clams to just lounge at home with our games and coloring CurlyGirl needs to go out, she needs to be busy. I've tried to have at least one thing planned a day.

Monday we had lunch with daddy and went to his work. Jared started a new job a couple of months ago and I like to take the kids to see his office at least once so they know where daddy goes everyday and I also like to have lunch with him at least once a month so we took spring break as the perfect opportunity to do that because BuddyBoy doesn't get to have lunch with daddy anymore because of school.

Tuesday was a rough time. Oh Tuesdays how I loath you. It was only Tuesday which means only the second day of spring break and we were all losing it. I had decided to take them to the movies (Beauty and the Beast!) we almost didn't go because people were being wretched and did not deserve to be taken anywhere especially somewhere that cost money but I decided it would be better all around to just get out of the house and do something and it really did help.

Wednesday we had nothing and I really worried about it. It totally worked out though! It was a lounge day. BuddyBoy and I were totally fine with it and the kids actually played fairly well with minimal incidences which I take as a win.

Thursday we had a play date with our favorite friends which is always so nice. Not only do we get out of the house for a bit but friends wear people out real nice.

Friday we have some shopping that I've been putting off for BuddyBoy. The poor boy has been wearing floods to school for awhile so I'm taking advantage of him being around  and going to the mall in the morning hopefully avoiding horrendous crowds.

And then its the weekend! Which means daddy is home and I have some backup. I felt like we found a decent balance of being busy but not overdoing this spring break which is extremely pleasant. If anyone reminds me that summer is just around the corner I may weep.

No comments:

Post a Comment