Saturday, April 19, 2014

Stace's Book Review: Tyrannosaur Canyon

    


     This book was a happy unplanned find. I'm pretty sure Steph actually found it. We had a long layover somewhere and were stuck at a lovely airport, so of course we were looking at books, and she picked this one up. Tyrannosaur Canyon by Douglas Preston. I love Douglas Preston. He actually has quite a few books that he co-writes with Lincoln Child that I will post about another time. I call them my men, why, its hard to say that's just what happened. My parents would ask me what I was reading and I would just say 'one of my men' I don't know I'm weird. 

     Douglas Preston books are usually about some type of new scientific discovery and the different people wanting to get credit and study the finding. That may sound boring but its not because Douglas Preston wrote it. His books are kind of reminiscent of Michael Crichton stuff but I personally like Douglas Preston better. I'm not a science kind of gal. I don't know about basically anything scientific and so I feel super smart reading these books and maybe sometimes I don't know the terms but it doesn't matter the story is still awesome.


     Sometimes I have a hard time describing things and I am afraid of giving to much away because one of the great things about this book is discovering so I am going to put what is on the back of the book because it is so cool.

A moon rock missing for thirty years...

Five buckets of blood-soaked sand found in New Mexico...

A scientist with ambition enough to kill...

A monk who will redeem the world...

A dark agency with a deadly mission...

The greatest scientific discovery of all time...

What fire bolt from the galactic dark shattered the Earth eons ago, and now hides in that remote cleft in the southwest U.S. known as...Tyrannosaur Canyon? 

     Oh my gosh!! So good. What I really love about this book and author is that there isn't to much mumbo jumbo science stuff to make one confused but it feels legit. I love the adventure and the mystery about it and the suspense building that goes on. Its really one of those books where you get on the edge of your seat sometimes. There is swearing. In this particular book I did not feel there was a ridiculous amount but that is a prominent thing in his books. There is also some intimate moments but the author does not dwell on them. Also, there is actually a book before this called The Codex that also has characters from Tyrannosaur Canyon, Tom Broadbent and Sally Colorado. You don't have to read it first, we didn't, but in Tyrannosaur Canyon it does mention stuff that makes you think there was a book before but you are in know way lost or confused if you read Tyrannosaur Canyon first. I also thoroughly enjoy The Codex. I think our dad said he liked that one better then Tyrannosaur Canyon. For me, The Codex can be creepier, don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good creep out every now and then but in The Codex they are in the jungle and there are a lot of yucky things in the jungle but again The Codex so good.

      So if you are in the mood for something kind of different and not huge on a love story, there still is a little one but not the main part of the story, and that's adventurous and keeps you guessing with really good writing Douglas Preston is your guy.
Tyrannosaur Canyon

     

      

No comments:

Post a Comment