Thursday, January 19, 2017

Stace's Book Review: Split




This year I have decided to do the 100 New Book Challenge. The main reason I decided to do it is so I am forced to branch out and explore more of what the literary world has to offer. I'm a big reader but I wouldn't necessarily consider myself a well read person because I tend to stick to the same types of genre's. Steph did the 100 New Book Challenge last year and had actually asked me to do it with her, and I was like yeah heck no, but I wish now that I had done it with her. As the year came to a close I realized that I had read about 50 new books without even trying. With Steph's example I decided, I can do 100 new books in a year. Sure! 

Lets just get this out of the way Split by J.B. Salsbury has nothing to do with M. Night Shyamalan's movie Split. Not the same. This book review is about Split by J.B. Salsbury just so we're clear.  


Split is based in Payson Arizona about a man named Lucas who was living his life as inconspicuously as possible. He is hard working, respectful and socially awkward. He also happens to have multiple personality disorder. When his bosses daughter, Shyann, moves back to town Lucas is instantly attracted to her and that terrifies him because of who he is and what he has done.


This book is an example of me branching out. I tend to read more light stories, historical romance, paranormal romance, stuff like that. This is not my cup of tea but I thought why not. It sounded intriguing so I gave it a go. I'll be honest I didn't love it. It might seem strange to do a book review on something that I didn't necessarily like but that's what can happen in the book world sometimes you pick a book and its just not what you were hoping for.


The main reasons why I didn't care for it was the language. There was A LOT of swearing. While I'm not particularly bothered with some swearing there were two characters that made it just to much for me. Another reason that I wasn't a huge fan was that I didn't really buy that the characters would act the way that they did sometimes. When you read a great book you totally go there with the characters and with Split I just didn't. Also the writing wasn't amazing. Author's can get away with a lot for me if the writing is good. Salsbury was just okay. Not the worst, not the best.


Some things that I did like about it was it made me think. Multiple personality disorder is an interesting thing and I wanted to see the direction the author would take with something like that. I had a few interesting conversations with my husband about it. And even though I read it about two weeks ago I still think about it sometimes. Will I read another book by J.B. Salsbury? Probably not. But I'm glad that I did. It was refreshing to read out side of my comfort zone


No comments:

Post a Comment