Thursday, January 5, 2017

Stace and Cheesy Broccoli Soup



The holidays may be over but winter is still going strong. I love the winter. Not because I enjoy the lovely slosh that is inevitable when snow falls or the dangerous black ice.


Side story. I lived in Idaho a few years ago and one night I got home late and absolutely slipped on some black ice and fell flat on my butt. The next day I called Steph and was telling her about it and I told her that I swore I heard someone laugh after I fell and she, my loving big sister, smirked and said “Yeah, it was probably me.” Thanks for the sympathy.


Anyway! Back to winter. I love the excuse to stay all cozy under a blanket with some hot chocolate and a nice fire. And for me, winter is the season for soups. Soup is perfect winter food. It warms you inside and out.


A soup that we have made a ton this winter is Jared’s Cheesy Broccoli Soup. I have said before that I do not enjoy cooking and that is still very true. Very true. But I do enjoy eating.  What I love the most about it is that the broccoli gets cooked to perfection. I’m not joking, perfection! It’s not all mushy or under done. It’s very fresh and a huge hit with the kids.


Here’s what you need:


32oz chicken broth


About a medium size head of broccoli


Heavy whipping cream


Flour


Shredded cheese

Optional - carrots and salt


Here’s what you do:


Pour in 32oz chicken broth to big pot.
Cut tops off broccoli and add to pot with the broth in it.
Put heat up to middle. put lid on and wait 15 minutes.


Add 3/4 cup of heavy whipping cream, stir till the color is uniform.
Add 4 tablespoons of flour and stir the whole thing until you hardly see any flour chunks (The flour is to thicken the soup and you can leave this out)
Add 1/2 cup of cheese, stir.

Voila! I hope you enjoy. What are some of your favorite soups? I’d love to try them, we still have a looooong winter ahead.

1 comment:

  1. I guess we had to make a blog for you to finally give me the recipe!! We are so having soup this week.

    ReplyDelete