Thursday, May 1, 2014

Stace and trying to exercise while pregnant

     The second pregnancy has been somewhat of a surprise. You would think it wouldn't be because, you know, I've done this before! But it is. Symptoms happen sooner. You get bigger sooner, you get nauseous sooner, you get the aches and pains sooner, oh and my personal favorite Braxton Hicks. Everything is sooner! Steph warned me and maybe I didn't want to believe her or just hoped that it wouldn't happen to me. But, it did. I will be six months tomorrow and I already feel like a house, or as I told Steph yesterday, a beast. 

       The worst thing that has been happening to me is lower back pain. Now obviously you don't have to be pregnant to have back pain, but my pregnancy is just making my already weak and troubled back all that much worse. I have actually been concerned because the pain and aching has been so bad already and I still have quite a while to go. So, I have been trying to find some exercises (or really stretches) to help. In this pregnancy my cravings have been more toward the sweet side of foods as opposed to the savory and while that is quite delightful it also doesn't help with feeling enormous and not being able to work out like I want. I did Zumba before I got pregnant and I was actually sure I could keep doing it but with the back pain I really can't.

      What I have started doing is going to the gym 4 or 5 days a week and doing the elliptical. I really like the elliptical because it doesn't hurt my back or bad knee ( I've dislocated my knee twice and have had surgery). Also, a lot of elliptical machines have these arm things attached to them that go back and forth like your legs and it works your biceps, triceps and some chest and that's very nice cause lets face it I'm not going to go and pump some iron. At home I have a prenatal yoga DVD that I do which is basically nice easy stretching and that has help quite a bit with the tight sore lower back. Another thing that has been helpful is using the heating pad before I go to bed at night. I sleep better and don't feel so tight and sore the next day.

     Everyone knows when you get pregnant you gain weight and we all know its a good thing. Weight needs to be gained. But its still really hard to have happen. Especially because the mean doctors have you stand on the scale every single time! I have been feeling better though as I have tried to make the effort to exercise. My exercises are not hard core they are not a big deal. The longest I've done the elliptical so far is 30 mins! But everything counts and it helps me to not feel discouraged or gross when I look in the mirror and see that belly's coming out and see my face getting fatter...Maybe I shouldn't talk about this anymore. I'm going to go stuff my face with apple chips, that will make me feel better about my fat face.

    If there are any suggestions about different exercises to strengthen backs or other simple exercises leave a comment I would love to hear them. I am very willing to try anything to not be in so much pain and feel better about myself. Go pregnancy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment