Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Books or an ereader?--Stace

    For Christmas Steph and I each got a kindle. Now getting a kindle or any e-reader really was a hard choice for us to make because we love books. We love the actual holding of the books, the smell of a new book, the feeling of holding a long awaited book in your hands, and the feel of the pages in your hands. It's just a fantastic experience. We almost felt like we were betraying books by getting the kindle; we were very torn. Then we decided to get the kindle because we did realize that we could have more books and that they were cheaper. Our book shelves are completely full; Steph even has to keep some of her books in boxes. It's a crying shame. 

    One of my favorite things about the kindle is that it's like a flipping portable library! Who could have a problem with that? I traveled for the first time with my kindle this last trip and it was great because now on airplanes you don't have to turn off electronic devices, you just have to have it in airplane mode and it fits ever so nicely in my purse. When I travel I always take about three books with me and this made it so much easier. Granted I had three different chargers, Ipad, kindle and phone, but it was something I was willing to do.

    My friend who just recently started getting into reading also got a kindle for Christmas but she said that it has now turned into something for her son to play on. But, did it go to waste? No it did not. If that is something you also want to do with it then by all means. She had some pretty fun games on there so apparently, at least on the kindle, you have good game options. My son is not allowed to have anything to do with my kindle. It is mommies. If he wants to play a game we have the Ipad for that, but kindle is all mine. 
  
    The reason I am bringing all this up now is because, like Steph has mentioned, a new Nora Roberts has come out. I was a little torn and not sure what to do. Should I just get it on the kindle? It would be cheaper but, the new book that came out is a part of a trilogy and I have the first book. Well, I decided to not get it on my kindle and I'm so happy. Maybe people think I'm silly because if you have an e-reader why buy regular books anymore? Because it makes me happy! Some books need and deserve to be on your bookshelf, even if there isn't very much room. Steph decided to get it on her kindle and she paid half what I did. But I don't care. I had forgotten how it felt to go to the store and find the book and hold it and see the beautiful cover. It just made me so happy. 

   So I guess the point of all this rambling is that if you are a book lover you can do both. You can own an e-reader and buy regular books. There is no one that says you can't! And like I said, I love my kindle. It can actually be a little on the addicting side to go to amazon, see a book you like is .99 cents, and then get it instantly. I try and rack my brain on what else I can buy because its .99 cents for crying out loud. You can have both worlds and both worlds are ever so happy.  Here is a link to the kindle I own  Kindle Fire HD 7", HD Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB - Includes Special Offers
     

No comments:

Post a Comment