Saturday, March 29, 2014

Cooking. Is it really necessary?--Stace

    In college I lived off of TV dinners. I didn't even own my own silverware, dish set, nothin. My roommates would take pity on me and share their meals. Each semester a roommate would ask "Why don't you cook?" My answer would be, while trying to sound as nice as possible and not laugh in their face, "Oh, I don't do that." You see, I have always been afraid of cooking, and quite frankly, lazy. But then I got married.

   People judge me for being afraid of cooking. Steph does. She's the cooking queen. Its kind of surprised me at how much she has jumped onto the cooking wagon. Maybe I judge her. I don't like cooking. I don't like the oven. One could say I fear it. Know why I fear it? Because it burns me! Even with oven mitts I get burned. Shortly after I got married, I got home from work early and decided to have a nice meal ready and waiting for my husband when he came home. I had also gotten my hair done that day and wanted him to come home to a cute wife and a nice clean home with a nice meal. Instead what he came home to was a crying wife, a messy kitchen, and a half cooked meal. I had burnt my arm in the oven and oil had splattered on my bicep. I didn't cook for awhile after that. 

    One of my biggest frustrations with cooking is that I feel like even if I follow the instructions to the letter, something always goes wrong. It's very frustrating. But then I discovered the crock-pot! The crock-pot had been a wedding present but I didn't start using it until we had been married for like 2 years.  For a good while I only used the crock-pot, but this past year I have ventured back to trying out the oven and am slowly trying new things. It helped that I had gained some confidence with the crock-pot and my mom also bought me some cooking books and then Steph got me into Pinterest.  But then, once I started really trying to cook I fell into the cooking the same meals all of the time rut. There is just no winning with cooking! People should just give me free food all of the time or at least gift cards so I can eat out daily.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment